8 Day Kruger, Swaziland & KZN Safari
KwaZulu Natal is one of the hidden gems of South African Wildlife. iSimangaliso Wetlands Park was the first UNESCO World Heritage site declared in South Africa. With an almost tropical climate, everything in KwaZulu Natal grows bigger and faster!
On our Kruger to KwaZulu Natal Safari we visit not only some of the most magnificent parks in the province, such as the iSimangaliso Wetlands Park and St Lucia and the Hluhluwe-Imfolozi game reserve, but we also get to experience the impressive Kruger National Park and Swaziland. The safari gives you ample opportunities to explore on foot, by boat and on game drives. For the adventurous an optional extra excursion on horseback can be arranged on the Eastern Shores of Lake St Lucia. This safari is every wildlife enthusiast’s dream!
Accommodation on a Kruger, Swaziland and KwaZulu Natal Safari
Vehicles used on a Kruger, Swaziland and KwaZulu Natal Safari
Transfers from and to the airport as well as to and from National Parks is in a 12 seat bus and game drives take place in open safari vehicles to offer the best possible game viewing experience. Vehicles are equipped to provide guests with highest possible levels of safety, comfort and experience.
Day 1: Gauteng to Kruger National Park
We depart from Johannesburg between 06h30 – 08h00 to allow for various collection points. Our route takes us through the wide open spaces of the Highveld, down the escarpment and through the scenic Lowveld area. We stop for lunch en-route (own expense) and reach the Kruger National Park and Skukuza Rest Camp in the afternoon.
After we have settled in, we head out on our first game drive! We conduct all our game drives in specially adapted 4×4 open game drive vehicles to allow our guests the best possible vantage point. On our return, we have some time to visit the Park’s shop, go for a walk & just familiarising ourselves with our surroundings.
Dinner is a three course meal, served al fresco at our private camp within Skukuza. Wine is served with dinner but guests are welcome to bring along additional / alternative drinks which can be purchased at the shop.
Day 2 & 3: Full day in the Park
Safaris are all about early mornings, getting out there and seeing animals! The time you go on your Game Drive varies according to the seasons and camp gate opening times. We have tea or coffee with muffins and fruit before departing on the Game Drive which will take approximately 3-4 hours. Your guide has an intimate knowledge of the park, which contributes a great deal towards brilliant sightings!
On returning to Skukuza brunch will be ready at our camp. You then have time to enjoy a swim, visit the Skukuza museum, visit the park shop which includes African curios, general food items and drinks, take a walk around the camp, or simply relax at the viewing platform in front of the restaurant, which overlooks the Sabie River. Be sure to bring your binoculars, Skukuza Rest Camp is also a bird watcher’s paradise!
After a siesta we set off on the afternoon Kruger Park game drive. We conduct all our game drives in specially adapted 4×4 open game drive vehicles to allow our guests the best possible vantage point.
We share African safari stories at the camp fire under the stars after a scrumptious dinner served at our camp.
(Breakfast & Dinner included)
Day 4: Kruger Park to Swaziland
The sun rises over our final day in the Kruger Park and we have one last chance to find the animals that have eluded us thus far as we drive south through the Park in our tour vehicle. We enjoy breakfast enroute.
From the Kruger Park we continue on to the landlocked Kingdom of the Swazis. It is interesting to see the variation in landscape as we move into this more mountainous region. We stop for lunch somewhere en-route (own expense).
We spend the night in one of the Swaziland Royal National Parks, where all the animals belong to the king. Your guide will prepare dinner under the stars and the evening is spent sharing travel stories around the fire.
(Breakfast and Dinner included)
Day 5: Swaziland to Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Game Reserve
Today we have a later start! After breakfast we depart for KwaZulu Natal through once more changing landscapes. We will stop for lunch (own expense) en-route to the Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Game Reserve, made famous for its breeding program of both black & white rhino, which brought these magnificent creatures back from the brink of extinction!
We spend the first afternoon in search of wildlife en-route to our camp, where your guide will prepare dinner for you to enjoy under the stars (weather permitting).
Day 6: Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Game Reserve
The day is filled with wildlife! Besides the Big 5, you can also expect to see animals like bush buck and nyala and the area is a bird watcher’s paradise!
After dinner you join a night drive conducted by KZN Parks. A night drive gives guests the opportunity of possibly seeing some of the nocturnal species out and about.
(Breakfast & Dinner included)
Day 7: Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Game Reserve to Dolphin Coast
After a final game drive and breakfast, we continue to South Africa’s first World Heritage Site, the iSimangaliso Wetland Park!
Upon arrival in the village of St Lucia, we join a 2 hour Hippo & Crocodile Boat Cruise on the St Lucia Estuary. Many crocodiles, hippos and birds make the estuary their home and you will have ample photographic opportunities.
After lunch at one of the restaurants in the village (own expense), we continue along the coast to the Dolphin Coast area. Accommodation is in rooms with en suite bathrooms.
We enjoy dinner with the sound of breaking waves in the back ground.
(Breakfast & Dinner included)
Day 8: Dolphin Coast to Durban
After breakfast you will have time to go for a walk along the beach or to enjoy a swim in the warm Indian Ocean. Then we sadly have to leave this bio-diverse area. We still have one more chance for game viewing from our closed, air conditioned tour vehicle as we leave the park for Durban’s King Shaka airport. We will stop en-route to enjoy lunch (own expense). We plan to arrive around 16h00.
From here guests can fly to various other cities in the country, possibly to Cape Town to link up with our Cape to Addo Safari, or you have the option of joining the guide on the transfer returning to Johannesburg at a minimal extra charge. Note that this is a transfer only, with no stops for sightseeing. We expect to be back in Johannesburg around 22h00.
** Terms & Conditions apply **
- Professional drivers/guides (FGASA registered – Field Guides Association of Southern Africa)
- Meals as specified per itinerary
- All day game drives as specified in the itinerary
- Hippo & Crocodile Cruise on St Lucia Estuary
- KZN Parks night drive.
- All entry fees and daily conservation levies
- Accommodation in en-suite chalets
- Bottled water during game drives (excl. KZN Wildlife drives)
- Wine with dinners
- Meals not specified in itinerary
- Guests are welcome to bring their own drinks to dinner, which can be purchased at the Parks’ shops
- Optional extra activities
- Items of a personal nature
- Visas for Swaziland – please ensure that you have enough blank pages in your passport.
- Pick up and drop off in Johannesburg/Pretoria
- It is important to note that this is not a private safari and more than likely there will be other guests joining you on the safari.
- Please note that Hluhluwe-Imfolozi night drive times are subject to change and availability on the day. These drives are conducted by KZN PARKS, by one of their rangers and in one of their vehicles. There will most likely be other guests on this drive. Children under 3 years of age are not allowed on KZN Parks open game drive vehicles.
- Guests flying out of King Shaka Airport on the last day are reminded to not book any flights earlier than 17h00 in order to give us enough time to get you to the airport. We recommend that you rather stay over in Durban if possible. Since we cannot guarantee our arrival time in Durban on the last day we will not be held responsible for re-imbursements of flight tickets should we arrive later than expected.
- All passport and visa requirements are the guests’ responsibility. Should your passport and visas not be in order, we will assist with arrangements in any way possible to allow you to join us again on our return to South Africa, but any such arrangements will be for your own account.
Safari: ZAR 22,725 per person sharing
Transfer JNB to Skukuza per person: R 1,475
Transfer KMIA to Skukuza per person: R 735
Transfer Durban to Johannesburg per person: Price on Request
This safari can easily be combined with our 4 day Cape to Addo Safari at the end, which will then start from Port Elizabeth. Ask your consultant about this great option!